Mitchell Road, Corby, Northamptonshire.
The superb 500 Owners Association race at Rockingham in July 2011. www.500race.org
Upcoming Historic Racing
Nothing in the calendar yet for 2016.
Opened in 2001 Rockingham is historic if only for being the first purpose built banked oval in the UK since Brooklands in 1907. As you would expect the 1.5 mile oval circuit is super fast with a lap record of 24.719 seconds by Tony Kanaan in his Ford/Lola Champ car - an average speed of 215mph...
There is more than just an oval, however. Multiple in-field configurations offer a variety of challenges with hairpins and chicanes and there are plenty of passing areas.
As well as the odd Historic event Rockingham also hosts the BTCC, British F3 and GT and the Pickup Truck Racing Championships.
It hosts a range of race events including the British Touring Car Championship, British F3/GT and the Pickup Truck Racing Championship on the oval.
With so many circuit configurations we have just put a few highlights down for you. Please contact us with any of your own observations!
1. Chapman Curve arrives after a steep climb with the braking point around the crest of the hill. The apex is late on this curve so that drivers exit on the right hand side of the track ready for the next left at Pif Paf.
2. Pif Paf - left hander opening gently allowing you to power out, depending on the track configuration.
3. Gracelands is also preceded by a steep climb. A late turn in then there is plenty of grip allowing you to power out but then the circuit drops away so some caution is needed.
4. Tarzan is a classic hairpin with a late turn in followed by a decent straight towards Brook.
5. Deene is a tricky combination - two left handers - far enough apart not to be a hairpin but close enough to bunch cars up and lead to some close racing.
In Car Video
Where To Watch
Rockingham has some of the best facilities in the UK but doesn’t really need a Where To Watch guide! All spectating is from the superb grandstands which offer a great view of the entire circuit. With 52,000 capacity events like the BTCC which attract a big crowd have much more of a US feel than that of a UK racing feel. Rockingham is highly recommended for racing fans.